Monday, October 19, 2009

Five suggestions

As I was going door to door this weekend, I was praying for some helpful tips that I could share about going door to door. God revealed five things that I can share with you.

1. Stand Back From the Door
When I ring the door bell, I like to stand back 4-6 feet from the door while I wait for someone to answer. This is helpful because that way, I am not right in someones face when they open the door. In addition, in many houses, it allows the person to look out from a window in a room near the door to see who is standing at their door.

2.Watch for signage
When approaching a house, watch out for No Tresspassing and No Solicitation signs. Solicitation is typically used in conjunction with selling something or asking for money. Since we are doing neither of these things, I don't actually think we are violating a No Solicitation sign. However, most people that put up such signs do so so that no one will bother them. It is my experience that they get "bent out of shape" by knocking on the door. For this reason, I choose to bypass houses that have No Soliciting signs posted. I will pray a prayer over the household as I pass by. I have noticed that some No Soliciting signs are posted fairly inconspicuously. So you really have to look for them sometimes. A couple of times, I've run the door beel without noticing the sign. Fortunately, when I saw the sign, I just left and it turned out no one was home anyway. I think obeying the No Tresspassing sign is obvious.

3. If in doubt ... ask if it is a good time
A woman comes to the door and looks like she is not feeling too well. I say, "hi, is this a good time to talk for a minute?" She says, "no." I hand her a tract and tell her to have a nice day. The bottom line is we need to be sensitive to the fact that they may not be able to talk right then.

4. Ask for their parents
Sometimes a child will answer the door. In this case, I'll ask, "is your mom or dad here." If they say no, then I give them a tract to give to their parents. If they say yes, then I wait to speak with the parent. Now, I only apply this rule when the child is say less then 14 or so. With teen agers, I'll ask them for prayer requests and talk to them about spiritual things.

5. Recognize when it is time to leave
In Matthew 13, Jesus teaches about four types of soil. When we are planting seed in good soil it is fairly obvious. Likewise, we need to pay attention to the leading of the Holy Spirit and recognize when we are spreading seed in the rocky places. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to spending an hour (or more) at one house talking with someone. I've actually had some long conversations with people while going door to door. But, if the conversation is going no where, and they are not interested at all in talking about the things of God, then I will hand them a tract, excuse myself and move on to the next house. On one particular occassion, the man had made up a god to suit himself. He had totally dismissed the idea that any god could judge and send people to hell. Then he began telling me that it was not appropriate to have a spiritual conversation in front of his two children (1 and 4 years old). I pointed out that the Bible says to have the faith of these little children. At that he said something to the effect of, "I am not going to discuss my beliefs with a stranger." Interestingly, we had already been talking about these things for 5-10 minutes. I handed him a tract, thanked him for his time and then left. Finally, I added him to the prayer list for salvation!

Statistics
Here are the updated statistics on reaching Carrollton for Christ.
Houses visited: 337
One on One conversations: 90
Prayer Requests: 56
Food items collected: 199

Well, that's it for now. I hope these suggestions are helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment