Wednesday, July 14, 2010

94 door hangars distributed!

They're here
The door hangar shipment was finally located. Turns out that UPS delivered them to my address PLUS 10. But, fortunately, the woman who received them called last night and I went and picked them up from her.

Shipped 1600 door hangars
We offered 100 door hangars to anyone who would go hand them out in their neighborhood to get them started with door to door. Today at lunch, I mailed 1600 door hangars out to those who had requested them. another 300 are being labeled by a local church for distribution on Saturday. I got three more requests for door hangars today. Those will go in the mail soon. It's not too late. If you'd like some door hangars to get started with a door to door ministry in your neighborhood then let me know and I'll mail them out to you.

First Distribution
Since I've been waiting for a long time to receive the door hangars, I was anxious to go and distribute some. So tonight, I spent about 45 minutes distributing them. I reached 94 houses. One thing I noticed is that it seemed like no one was home. So the fact that I was simply leaving something on the door turned out to be a good thing. While I walked and distributed the door hangars I was praying for the neighborhood. The picture at the right is the first door hangar distributed to a house in Carrollton, TX.

Strategy
I plan to canvass a few neighborhoods in order to get a sense of what percentage of people are likely to request the door hangars. I don't plan to only door canvassing. At some point, I will go back to my previous door to door method (food drive, prayer request and sharing the Gospel) with the change being that I'd give them the door hangar or leave it on the door instead of the Good News / Bad News tract that I have been using.

Resources
There are a couple of resources that are handy for mapping your progress with door to door. The first is to use maps.google.com to map an area. Print the map, then use a highlighter to mark where you have been. The second resource is something I've been using in my running. It is www.gmap-pedometer.com and it allows you to map paths. For example, the path that I walked tonight to hand out door hangars is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment